To make your wardrobe and fashion better doesn’t require large amounts of money, time, or energy. Some very simple tactics can instantly improve your image and confidence today. Here are 10 ways you can upgrade your style with ease.
#1 – Get The Essentials
Every man should have the essential menswear pieces in his wardrobe to look his best. These include:
- A well tailored suit.
- Dress shirts.
- Dress shoes like oxfords or derbys.
- Casual shoes like loafers, boatshoes, or moccasins.
- Boots like chukka or dress styles.
- T-shirts and polo shirts.
Having all of these in basic colours will provide you with the necessary clothing to create classy outfits every day. Everything from casual. business-casual to formal events will be easy for you to style. There are endless combinations you could create like:
- Oxfords, jeans, and a suit jacket over a t-shirt.
- Loafers with chinos and a polo shirt.
- A two piece suit and derbys.
- Dress shirt, shorts, and boatshoes.
- Dress boots, jeans, and a t-shirt.
#2 – Clean Out Your Wardrobe
This is the exact opposite of the above as we’re removing items instead of adding them. You may not think of this as an upgrade but once you’ve made space it definitely feels like it. Take a good look at your closet and think:
- What doesn’t suit my style?
- What is old and needs replacing?
- What doesn’t fit any more?
You will be surprised how many pieces of clothing you have that you don’t actually wear. Take all of these and either donate them or sell them. With the new room you now have, take this opportunity to fill it with essentials and apparel that is versatile.
#3 – Wear The Right Watch
Not just any watch will suit every occasion which is why it’s wise to have a couple of them at your disposal. This way your accessory game is always up to par to your outfit. These are the main types of watches and how you should style them:
- Dress watch: These feature a plain white face with a black or brown leather band. They are simple, elegant, and are must have for any gentleman. Always assure that you match the band colour to other parts of your outfit like your belt and shoes.
- Dive watches: Originally designed for underwater adventures, this style of watch has a water resistance that could be upwards to hundreds of meters. Since they are more tool-focused, do your best not to wear these with suits or formal attire.
- Chronograph watch: Not as formal as the classic dress watch but it can be by certain brands. These offer both style and function with GPS, compasses, monitors and other tools built into them. Chronograph watches are fantastic for the man that leads an active life.
- Digital watches: The most casual of watches you’ll find are these. Featuring a LED or LCD display, digital watches are best worn with casual ensembles and for basic activities.
#4 – Throw A Sports Jacket On
There are little to no circumstances in which a sports jacket doesn’t look good. It instantly adds an element of sophistication and class to your appearance. For example you could wear it with jeans, cap toe oxfords, and a dress shirt. This is a great business casual outfit you could wear for many situations. To tone it down a bit, loafers with shorts and a sports jacket is a very posh look for the summer.
#5 – Wear The Right Colours Together
You may be wearing the right apparel together but are the colours correct? It’s these small details that can make or break an outfit. Lets first take a look at a colour wheel to better understand how we can implement them.
Associated colors: These are next to each other on the colour wheel. An example would be a navy suit, a light blue dress shirt, and blue tie. Overall it will create a monochrome appearance which means the colours are similar but in different strengths.
Complementary colors: When colours are on the opposite side of each other on the colour wheel, they tend to complement each other. This is because the two together will create a beautiful contrast. If you want a bold and lively outfit, use contrast to your advantage.
Triad colours: The most balanced outfits tend to use three or so colours that create a triangle on the colour wheel. It makes a balanced appearance but you have to make sure not to over do it. It is best to keep the colours muted with one perhaps being more bold. For example you could wear a navy suit, white dress shirt, and red tie.
Some colour schemes don’t necessarily coincide with the colour wheel like blue, brown, and white. These are more general ideas you should follow but feel free to experiment to find the perfect blend.
#6 – Get It Fitted
One of the simplest ways to improve your fashion is by always getting the right fit. Every piece of attire has different characteristics to take into consideration and every man has a different body. Here are some general rules to follow:
- Suit jackets: The sleeves should end on your wrist bone. The shoulder seem should go right along the shoulder bone. The jacket shouldn’t overly crease and be uncomfortable when you button it up.
- Trousers: Ideally ends on the ankle and shows a small amount of sock. There can be a single slack or a slimmer fit which younger gentlemen tend to enjoy.
- Polo shirts: It should hug the sleeves and chest area with a firm collar. Well fitting polo shirts will have a looser mid section for mobility.
#7 – Easy On The Cologne
Cologne doesn’t need to be overwhelming for those around you. Aim for a single spray on your neck and chest or wrists. These tend to be the best areas to apply to. You should always use a cologne that matches the activities you will be engaging in as well. This tiny detail you add to your day shows style and grooming intelligence.
- Dates: Wear a spicy or cinnamon scented fragrance. This is guaranteed to get your partners attention.
- Work and formal occasions: Nothing overbearing like a light floral scent.
- Nights out: Citrus and zesty scents add life to your outfit and appearance while hitting the town.
#8 – Avoid Big Logos
You can be a fan of a brand without being a walking billboard. Big logos on clothing tend to draw away from the actual outfit and more on the company’s name anyway. Brands like Ralph Lauren or Lacoste have neat, small logos on their clothing that are perfect.
#9 – Clean Your Shoes
When you purchase a pair of quality shoes you are truly making an investment. To keep their longevity and looks at their best you need to maintain them properly.
For leather like calfskin, wipe them all over to get any dirt off the surface and let them dry. Horsehair brushes are ideal for getting rid of dust and other things as well. Next you’ll want to condition the leather because it is skin like we have and needs moisture. Apply it evenly across the entire shoes leather and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Buff the shoes with a brush and apply your favourite cream to give them some life. Let them sit for 30 minutes and feel free to add some polish to finish it off.
#10 – Easy On The Patterns
You want to stick to a single pattern within any given outfit. For example you may be wearing a solid suit, dress shirt, but have a striped tie. If you wear too many patterns and designs at once it can be a bit flamboyant. You could potentially wear a patterned suit, patterned tie and solid dress shirt. Experiment and you will find the right balance between them but ideally have one pattern in your ensemble.
Thank you for reading and feel free to share it with your friends that love fashion. Have a wonderful week and we will catch you in the next article soon.