Quality, comfort and style. These are a few of the many things we look for in a shoe. When you’re walking around at the office or elsewhere, you want to feel good and look even better. That can only be achieved with a high quality shoe. That’s why today we’re doing a comparison of Allen Edmonds and Johnston & Murphy, two legendary shoemakers. Continue reading if you want to know the pros and cons of each.
Allen Edmonds vs Johnston & Murphy
Johnston & Murphy
It all started with William J. Dudley, a European immigrant that moved to Newark, New Jersey to chase the American dream. Educated in traditional English shoemaking, Mr. Dudley opened up the William J. Dudley Shoe Shop in 1850. The business specialized in making footwear for men, women and children. Almost 30 years later with tons of growth and success, a businessman named James Johnston became William’s company partner. When Mr. Dudley passed away in 1881, William A. Murphy became Johnston’s new business partner, thus Johnston & Murphy was born.
Today the brand has almost 170 retail stores across the USA while focusing on footwear and apparel. Enough with the boring history though, lets get into the real meat and potatoes.
98% of shoes sold in the USA are produced in other countries but Allen Edmonds is different. They are apart of the remaining 2% that believe in staying home and selling USA made footwear. They were also one of the largest providers of shoes to the US Navy and Army during World War II.
The main factor that seperates Allen Edmonds and Johnston & Murphy is price. They both offer a unique comfort system, a variety of designs and good longevity. But the real difference is that Allen Edmonds shoes tend to be priced a bit higher. If you’re looking to stay on a budget, Johnston & Murphy will be your best choice. For those willing to splurge a bit, Allen is your friend.
Featured image credit: Robert Sheie