Dress shirts are a staple piece of menswear that can be worn on their own or easily layered for a more posh look. They are characterized by featuring a collar, full length opening and fastened by buttons. Normally accompanied by a suit jacket and tie, dress shirts are fantastic for formal outfits but also shine on casual days too. We’ll touch a bit more on how you can style them afterwards with a list of the best mens dress shirts first.
Cotton is the most common material which offers the greatest deal of quality and comfort. Linen is next most used material but is more ideal for spring or summer since it’s meant to be lightweight and wrinkles easily. Silk dress shirts would also be the most useful for warm weather since they are light and comfy. Polyester and polyester blends offer the most affordable pricing but tend to be less soft and breathable. All of them have their pros and cons but cotton always comes out on top no matter what you’re up to that day.
The fit of your dress shirt is key too unless you want to look like a deflated balloon. It should hug your body but not be overly tight, just enough to taper your silhouette. The sleeves should land around your wrist so if you put on a suit jacket, a small amount shows. Just like your jacket as well, the shoulder seem should be right over your shoulder bone and not hanging off. Besides that, assure that the collar is crisp and while fully buttoned up isn’t so tight it makes you want to pass out.
Here are some of the best mens dress shirts you can get your hands on with all price ranges taken into consideration.
Best Mens Dress Shirts
Kenneth Cole Unlisted Dress Shirt.
Composed of 60% cotton and 40% polyester, Kenneth Cole has made an affordable, comfortable and stylish dress shirt you’ll love wearing. It comes in a variety of different check colours with regular cuffs, a spread collar and a slim fit if that is you what you enjoy. This would look great with a cardigan, jeans and loafers for a business casual outfit.
The legendary New York designer has taken the classic poplin dress shirt and added an extra flare to it with a logo tab placed near the hem. It features a smooth finish composed of 100% cotton, a formal collar and a lightweight design. This can easily be sported with your suit, a casual outfit or any way you like it.
Calvin Klein Men’s Slim Fit Point Collar Dress Shirt.
A 100% cotton, slim fit dress shirt that wicks moisture it help you feel cool throughout the day. This is perfect if you’re stuck in an office because you won’t get too hot and the advanced non-iron fabric balances temperature. Along with a point collar and regular cuffs, you’ll find wearing this dress shirt easy as pie.
With a cut that can be worn tucked or untucked, the Aston shirt is a very versatile piece. Detail is kept to a minimum to create a slim, modest, and lightweight dress shirt that is composed of 100% cotton with the look of linen. Try sporting this with khaki shorts and boat shoes.
Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Slim Fit Spread Collar Dress Shirt.
The iconic brand delivers as always with a 100% cotton slim fit dress shirt featuring tapered sleeves, higher arm holes and a slimmer chest/waist cut. This is especially great if you have a nice physique because it will compliment it well. Throw this on with your favourite wool trousers, oxfords and matching belt.
Styling Mens Dress Shirts
With the best mens dress shirts out of the way, lets talk about how you can look good in them. Lets start off with some ideas for wearing a dress shirt formally:
- Of course the go to is going to be with a well tailored suit. If you haven’t gotten your suit taken in to be adjusted to your body, do it ASAP. Nothing looks better and more professional than a gentleman in a fitted suit. Lets say you have a navy suit, wear it with a white dress shirt, red tie, and brown cap toe oxfords.
- Wear your dress shirts under a sweater with khaki chinos and dress shoes of your choice for a more relaxed but still dapper appearance.
- Who says you have to wear anything over it? Sport your dress shirt tucked in to trousers along with matching shoes and belt.
Out of the office and formal occasions, you are going to need to know how to rock your dress shirts casually:
- During the warmer seasons, a dress shirt with chino shorts and loafers or casual footwear looks awesome on any guy. You can swap out the loafers for low top sneakers, moccasins or boatshoes if you’d like.
- A nice fall outfit with a dress shirt can be done with a heavy knit cardigan over top, your favourite jeans and dress boots. Chukka boots also work really well here.
- Keep it simple with an untucked shirt, chinos and sneakers for when you’re hanging out with friends or doing casual activities.
How do you like to wear your dress shirts? Let us know in the comment section below and anything else you have to say about dress shirts in general.