Every gentleman needs to take care of his mind, body, and soul. If one area lacks you’ll feel it in another. Exercising on a regular basis will improve your physique, sleep, confidence and yields a multitude of other benefits. Doing so isn’t overly difficult either, it just requires some discipline and patience on your end. You can see and feel results quickly too which you can use to further motivate yourself. We’re going to cover some simple ways to get exercise in along with quick diet tips.
There are endless ways we can exercise with some requiring little to no equipment. This is best for beginners as you can often do it in the comfort of your own home. These are some great ways to improve your health and physique:
When we lift weights for many repetitions, we crate microscopic tears in our muscles. When we rest and sleep, our body repairs them and builds more muscle to compensate. The beauty of weightlifting is that you can do it in both a traditional gym or at home.
For beginners you should purchase dumbbells which are a comfortable weight. Ones that you can achieve 8-12 repetitions with are ideal. We want to focus on what are known as compound exercises. These are exercises that work multiple muscle groups at once which gives us a better overall workout.
Compounds lifts include:
- Bench press
Bench press and similar variations will work your chest, triceps, and shoulders. This covers your upper body perfectly and is one of the most popular exercises for men. At home you can lay on the floor and use dumbbells to do this exercise or even better, purchase a work out bench.
Deadlifts will improve your posture as it works out your lower back, quadriceps, hamstrings, and trapezius muscles.
Squats will mostly focus on your quadriceps, hamstrings, and hips when performed correctly. You want to squat as deep as possible as this gets you a full range of motion and better results. There are many forms of squatting you can do, especially with dumbbells. Goblet squats are very common and easy to do.
Finally rows will work your upper back and biceps. When we perform all of these compound exercises regularly, you work all of over muscle groups evenly. You will notice muscle growth, toning, and your body becoming more lean by doing these.
It’s recommended that you do 3 sets of 8-12 repetitions for these exercises while giving yourself days of rest. For example a sample workout may look something like this:
- Monday: Bench press, rows, and other upper body exercises.
- Wednesday: Deadlifts and other lower body exercises.
- Friday: Squats and other lower body exercises.
You should mix in isolation exercises with the compound lifts. For example on upper body days you may throw in tricep extensions or curls. On lower body days you could do ab exercises or calve raises. On days you rest it’s ideal to do some light cardio such as walking to promote blood flow.
Tip: Don’t workout sore, this is your body telling you to rest.
Some people hate it and some people swear by it. Personally I love cardiovascular exercise, it’s amazing for your overall health and an excellent time to listen to podcasts.
The simplest form of cardio is going for a nice walk. It’s recommended that you spend 20 to 30 minutes for walking. Listen to a podcast, audio book, music or enjoy the sounds of nature.
Running and jogging will burn more calories and get your endorphins going. Start small and try running a kilometer or two and build up from there. Once you start establishing a workout routine, you could be doing both weights and cardio within the same week for amazing results.
The goal is to keep moving at a consistent pace until you’re finished. If at times you feel the need to slow down during a run, simply walk until you have the energy to speed it up a notch.
Tip: Always do dynamic stretching before you exercise.
Cali-what? Calisthenics is a fancy way to say bodyweight exercises. There are many gentleman whom have built incredible physiques off of purely doing it. One of the main benefits is that it only requires your body meaning you can workout literally anywhere at any time. Here are some exercises you should try:
- Pushups: Everyone knows them as the classic feat of strength. Any man who can do dozens of pushups deserves some respect in our eyes. You can do them with shoulder-width hand placement, further out, or closer together to work your chest or triceps more.
- Squats: Who said you need barbells and dumbbells to squat? If you have your own two legs then you can do squats at home. You’ll be very surprised at the burn you get from doing 8-12 reps of them.
- Chinups: Whether you have a chinup bar or something in your backyard to hang from, chin ups are one of the best upper body exercises ever. Doing these consistently will build up your back and biceps like no tomorrow.
Dieting Made Easy
Everyone makes out dieting to be so difficult when it really isn’t. If you make some quick and easy changes to what you consume on a daily basis, you’ll notice a great difference in your body and health. Here are some tips:
- Drink more water. Your entire body including the muscles require healthy amounts of water to maintain and operate at 100%.
- Implement more lean protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats into your diet over time. You don’t have to completely rehaul what you eat in a single day so do it at a comfortable pace.
- Use calorie calculators to get an estimate of how much you should be eating every day for your goals.
- Take supplements like a multivitamin or fish oil.
Thank you for taking the time to reading our article. We hope you have an exciting journey pursuing health & fitness and that you learned a thing or two today.