The Pompadour is a fun hairstyle that can make any man look younger and more attractive. King Louis XV’s mistress Madame de Pompadour was the first person to popularize it during the 17th century. While it is a unisex haircut, it is still characterized the same with the hair swept up with sometimes an unkept sides or back for more texture.
Past that time in history, it was still mostly a women’s hair style up until the Gibson Girl era during the 1890’s. This was a movement based around the personification of what the ideal women should look like, based off of illustrations from Charles Dana Gibson. It was not until the 50’s that celebrities like the man himself, Elvis Presley started wearing it as his go-to hairstyle. Associated with rock & roll, greasers and muscle cars, the pompadour became popular with young men in general around this time. Other notable stars that rocked this hair style were Marlon Brando, James Dean and Desi Arnaz.
What To Consider First
If you’re interested in getting this haircut, lets take some things into consideration first because not every hairstyle looks good on every man:
- It’s a style that is best suited for men with straighter hair. You will need at least 4-6 inches of length to pull it off or you won’t be able to sweep it up and back like Elvis. It can still be worn on gentlemen with wavier hair though for a more textured appearance.
- It probably isn’t the best hairstyle for thinning or balding men who are best off with shorter cuts.
- The pompadour haircut looks the best on gentlemen with high cheekbones and a wider jaw. It’s almost like choosing a pair of sunglasses, not all of them suit every face shape the same. Even if you weren’t blessed with model-like proportions, we’re sure your barber can work his magic and make it look good on you either way.
- If you choose to have the sides and back cut very short, try growing some facial hair to balance it out. While having no facial hair was synonymous with the original pompadour look, having a beard or stubble suits is nicely too.
Types of Pompadour Haircuts
With that out of the way, now it’s time to take a look at some various ways you can style the pompadour haircut for inspiration.
The modern take on the pompadour utilizes much shorter lengths on the sides and back. It’s popular among younger men but you’ll find it looks classy no matter you’re age.
The classic pompadour has a bit more length on the sides and back which is great if you don’t want it too short in these areas. This is how many fashion icons of our time have sported it so definitely don’t forget this style.
With enough length on the sides and top you can achieve a more natural, textured look by not being as strict when styling it. If you have wavy or curly hair, you will be able to pull this off easily without much work.
Pompadour Styling Steps & Tips
With some fresh inspiration in your mind, here are the steps you need to take to achieve the perfect pompadour every time.
- Assure your hair is clean and washed. Investing into a natural shampoo and conditioner is a worthwhile investment.
- Lightly towel dry your head but leave some dampness so it is easier to work with.
- With your favourite comb and hairdryer, Blow dry the front of your hair up and comb it back at the same time to create volume.
- Use a pea sized amount(or however much you prefer) of hair product like wax and rub it in your palms. Gently get it all through your hair from front to back.
- Begin combing your hair once again like you did when blow drying it by combing it up and back. This gets the shape we want and evenly distributes the product you used.
Pomade is the best if you want that really slick look as it will add lots of shine. For a more textured appearance, you can’t go wrong with some clay, especially a matte one. If you really want the look to stick, use a bit of hair spray before you run out the door. Here are some great products if you need to re-up your stash:
By one of the best brands to do it, this pomade uses natural ingredients to give your hair a healthy shine and hold.
With an alluring scent, this matte cream will give you that textured look you’re after with a medium to firm hold.
Adds thickness and fullness to your hair with a medium hold. You can use this on dry or damp hair with ease.