Bumps, burns, and irritation are the last things we want as men when we shave but it happens from time to time. To get the closest and best looking shave you’ll to take care of your skin before hand. This means that how we treat our skin on a regular basis will set us up for a good or bad shaving experience. Here is what you need to know.
How To Properly Shave
Skincare Comes First
If you want to look young, have smooth skin and always get a good shave then you require a skincare routine. A few minutes a day can create an incredible impact on the look and feel of your skin. There are three main components you will want to implement into your regimen:
- Cleansing: A cleanser will aid in removing dirt, bacteria, and excess oil from your skin and pores. These things build up over time as you exercise, sleep, and go about your day in general. Clothing, the air, pillows and just about everything you come into contact with build these things up. You may not immediately see these but over time it can cause acne, discoloration, and bumps. If you experience any of these it makes it much harder to shave so we suggest doing it before you bring out the razor.
- Exfoliating: This is the process of removing dead skin cells and revealing the fresh, younger layer of skin underneath. There are many products from creams, gels, and handheld devices that will help you achieve this. Always use one that suits your skin type to avoid further irritating the skin. It’s recommended to exfoliate once per week and build up from there if you find it suitable.
- Moisturizing: One of the most important things you can do for your skin is give it moisture. Cleansing and exfoliating is going to strip the moisture from your skin so we need to get it back somehow. Shaving, cold/dry air and your skin type can also cause drying. It is typically best to use a simple moisturizer that doesn’t contain fragrances and extra chemicals that could irritate the skin. Better yet, find one that also acts as a sunscreen during the warm months.
Avoiding Razor burn
We have all felt the dreaded razor burn at one point or another. It can sting and leave itchy red blotches for hours to days. Luckily there are some simple steps you will learn to avoid going through this. If your skin is reacting this way it simple means that it doesn’t like how its being treated. Here is how you should approach shaving to not get a razor burn:
- Splash your face with warm water as this relaxes the skin and opens pores. If you haven’t cleansed already, this would be the time to do it.
- Apply shaving cream and use a clean and sharp blade to shave in the direction the hair grows. Dull razors are a big contributor to getting those burning and itching spots. If you have to keep returning to an area to re-shave it then odds are you need a new blade.
- Once you are finished splash your face with cold water. This closes your pores and helps alleviate any kind of inflammation or redness. You will then want to soothe your skin with a moisturizer or post-shaving cream.
Getting a good shave isn’t overly complicated and simply requires you to establish a solid skincare routine. Like most things in life, it is the effort before that makes the biggest difference afterwards. Below are some recommended shaving products for men we suggest picking up to help your regimen.
he kit features The Art of Shaving’s high-quality products, handcrafted accessories and expert shaving technique to provide optimal shaving results while helping against ingrown hairs, razor burn and nicks and cuts. Kit includes Pre-Shave Oil (0.5 oz.), Shaving Cream (1 oz.), and After-Shave Balm (0.5 oz.).
Quality and handcrafted design are showcased in this beautiful and functional shaving brush made entirely by hand in Italy. The wenge wood handle makes for an easy grip and will patina with use. Premium 100% badger hair bristles are used. The stand is made from burnished brass.
A great moisturizer to have in your bathroom. It helps restore elasticity, suppleness and essential nutrients to your skin (including minerals, vitamins and proteins) stripped away during shaving. What it does: The fast-absorbing formula leaves the skin hydrated and comfortable. It also helps soothe shaved skin and provides free-radical protection.
Perfect for yourself or someone special. Kit includes Glycolic Facial Cleanser (8 oz.), Pre Shave Oil (2 oz.), Shave Cream (6 oz.), After Shave Balm (2.5 oz.);,a black mesh dopp kit and an Anthony Grooming Card.